Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Norfolk Southern - Illinois Division

This may seem a bit of a tangent from any normal post that show up here, especially since the blog is titled, Missouri Pacific Sedalia, but this will be a running tangent for awhile.  The Missouri Pacific Sedalia Sub is a model layout that is built by myself (Stephen) and my father (Gary).  I travel for a living with Broadway tours and get to spend generally less that two months a year here, thus I don't get to work on stuff very often.  When I am home it is generally for a week at a time and model railroading does get the majority of my time. Knowing that at some point in the near future I will get tired of traveling all the time, want a house of my own, family... I have recently started planning my future layout.


After a few months of debate about which direction I wanted to go with my future layout, I had finally decided on Norfolk Southern.  While I have a great deal of Union Pacific and Missouri Pacific locomotives and rolling stock, my interest in a coal branch through the hills and forrest is something that I will always have and if I don't make the switch now, it will probably be something that I regret.  I eventually decided on the Norfolk Southern Illinois Division between Moberly, MO and Huntingburg, IN, with Kansas City, MO and Louisville, KY as staging yards.  Also to satisfy my need to haul coal, there are 4 coal mines in Southern Illinois that while they may not truly be served by the NS, I am making them so for a coal branch on my layout.




From time to time I will post some of the projects that I am working on or have completed for this layout on this blog, but most of the Illinois Division stuff will be solely posted on its own blog.







No comments:

Post a Comment