Saturday, July 7, 2012

Covered Hopper Weathering Part 2

Its been a few days since I had even looked at the covered hopper that I weathered the other day, and when I finally got it back out, I decided that it needed a bit more weathering.  Today's goal was to add rust marks and rust streaks to the covered hopper.

For the rust on the car I turned to a method that I have seen over and over again in forums and blogs that I follow, except I decided to try it with acrylic paints instead of oil..... I will work with oil paint from now on, acrylic dries to fast, it had formed a shell around the blobs on the palette.  The three colors of paint I used for this project were; raw sienna, burnt umber, and raw umber.

I started by applying a small bit of raw sienna at the highest point on the car where I wanted the rust streaks to start from (where the walkway is welded to the body).  After applying the dabs of paint down one side of the car, I took a second brush dipped in thinner and dragged the paint down the side of the hopper, giving me the light colored streaks in the back.  Next, I went back with raw umber and burnt umber and reapplied paint back toward the top of the steaks and then repeated the process with thinner on a second brush.

Once the paint dries, I will spray another layer of dullcote and then attack it with another layer of chalks to fill in some areas that now look much to clean for a hopper with this amount of rust.


No comments:

Post a Comment