Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Covered Hopper Weathering



It has been a few days since I have been able to get any modeling done, but I do now have a nice new area to work on models with better lighting, and much less clutter.  Took a few days of reorganizing, cleaning, building some things, electrical..... but now I have an area that no one will be piling down with things.

My first project back is this 56' covered hopper.  I have not done much weathering in the past and decided to try my first attempt on this Bachmann covered hopper that we got in a lot of stuff.  We had two, so the first picture you see is actually the one that I have weathered sitting next to the car as it comes from Bachmann.

I worked on the weathering in stages.  First I did some washes and highlighting with the airbrush with a few different color paints (sand, dust, and a custom mix of railroad tie brown and sand).  Once the paint had dried I started working on it with chalks.  I used 4 or 5 different colors of chalk from a flesh tone to black.  I haven't touched the trucks yet, so that will be starting project for tomorrow.



No comments:

Post a Comment