Saturday, July 7, 2012

Ribbed Covered Hopper Weathering

 This car is my next weathering project.  I meant to take a picture before I started but forgot.  This is a picture of the covered hopper after I have roughed up the sides a bit with a fine grit sand paper.


 I used oil paints for adding rust and streaking to the hopper.  The first layer of paint that I applied was yellow ochre.  I placed small dabs of the paint at the top of the ribs and then dragged it down with a brushed dipped in mineral spirits to cause the rusting streaks.

I repeated the process with burnt umber and burnt sienna.  Finally I added small amounts of raw umber for the rust spots.  This project now needs to sit for a day to let the oil paints dry before I add dullcote so that I can begin to add some chalk weathering

No comments:

Post a Comment